Hong Kong jeweller attacked during diamond robbery cries while watching CCTV footage in court

Videos played during High Court trial show Indian proprietor being assaulted and robbed of bag carrying HK$1.56 million worth of diamonds

PUBLISHED : Saturday, 05 August, 2017, 1:09pm
UPDATED : Saturday, 05 August, 2017, 1:15pm

An Indian jewellery store owner cried in a Hong Kong court on Friday when he watched CCTV footage showing him being attacked and robbed of a bag carrying HK$1.56 million worth of diamonds in broad daylight last year.

The videos were played during a High Court trial involving four men who are linked to the robbery at Man Yue Street in Hung Hom on March 18 last year.

Arvind Kanubhai Nasit, sole proprietor of local company Fancy Creation, recalled that he was taking his usual route to meet a customer when several men attacked him from behind shortly after 2pm that day.

“I was in pain and I felt dizzy,” he testified through an interpreter. “Somebody was hitting me in the back and also my legs; somebody also tried to open my arms and snatch the bag.”

Man who swallowed diamonds in HK$89 million attempted robbery arrested as shopkeeper found unconscious

But despite his attempts to cover his crossbody bag, Nasit said the men took it off his neck and ran away after hitting him with a hard object and causing him to fall on his back.

Inside the bag was a red pouch carrying 1,000 carats of uninsured diamonds, sourced from India and valued at US$200,000, or HK$1.56 million. Prosecutors claim that the bag also contained receipts and some documents, including diamond grading reports issued by the Gemological Institute of America.

“My diamonds were stolen,” Nasit said.

The CCTV footage shown in court then showed that the Indian jeweller then stood up on his own, while some passers-by walked on.

Thief steals diamond worth HK$5 million from jewellery shop in Hong Kong hammer heist

Nasit cried and wiped his face as he watched, prompting Mr Justice Wilson Chan Ka-shun to order a break for him to calm down.

Three men – Amin Nayab, Akbar Adil and Muhammad Akram – have denied one joint count of robbery in relation to the incident. A fourth, Muhammad Imran, meanwhile pleaded not guilty to a separate count of handling stolen goods.

The jury trial continues.