image image

Crime in Hong Kong

Intruder breaks into former Canadian official’s Hong Kong home

A burglar broke into David Nesbitt’s home in the early hours of Thursday

PUBLISHED : Thursday, 21 September, 2017, 10:44pm
UPDATED : Friday, 22 September, 2017, 9:47am

The former executive director of the Canadian Chamber of Commerce, David Nesbitt, became the latest victim in a recent spate of high-profile break-ins in Hong Kong after someone broke into his home in the early hours of Thursday.

The 70-year-old was awakened by a noise and found the intruder ransacking his bedroom on the first floor of a four-storey apartment block in Pok Fu Lam Road shortly after 4.15am, according to police.

“The culprit ran into the balcony from where he jumped off the building and fled on foot,” a police source said.

Hong Kong police step up patrols after latest high-profile burglary at luxury home of musician Zou Lunlun

“There was no confrontation with the culprit and the tenant and no one was injured in the incident.”

An initial investigation showed no items were stolen in the break-in, according to police.

The source believed the raider climbed on to the first-floor canopy and entered into the flat by prising open a window with a hard object.

Officers scoured the area after receiving a report from Nesbitt at 4.19am.

Police said the culprit was short in height and wore a dark short-sleeve T-shirt at the time of the raid.

So far no one has been arrested. Detectives from Western police district are handling the case.

It is the second burglary in the same block in two months. On July 22, a third-floor flat was burgled.

Officers are investigating whether the two cases are related.

Hong Kong’s expensive residential areas, including The Peak, Shouson Hill, Deep Water Bay, Repulse Bay and Kowloon Tong, were targeted last year, resulting in a 70 per cent surge in the number of high-end household burglaries in the city.

Two suspects in Lamma Island burglaries arrested in Hong Kong ferry pier surprise

Figures showed the number of burglaries in Hong Kong with losses totalling at least HK$500,000 climbed from 31 cases in 2015 to 54 last year. There were 13 such cases in the first six months of this year.

According to official statistics, police handled 1,149 reports of burglary across the city in the first seven months of this year, down 18.3 per cent compared with 1,407 cases in the same period last year.