image image

Crime in Hong Kong

Elderly woman found dead in Hong Kong flat after her son falls from same building

Man was taken conscious to hospital; police say woman’s head was almost completely cut off

PUBLISHED : Sunday, 08 October, 2017, 2:07pm
UPDATED : Monday, 09 October, 2017, 10:59am

An elderly woman was found dead, her head almost cut off, inside a Hong Kong flat on Sunday after her son, the suspected killer, jumped from their home in a failed suicide attempt, police said.

Police have classified the incidents as murder and attempted suicide.

Kwai Tsing District’s assistant commander of crime Kok Wai-shing said the force received a report before noon that a man was found lying on the slope outside Shing On House, Kwai Shing Estate.

The man was conscious when he was discovered and told officers where he lived.

“Police officers went up to the flat in the hopes of finding his family members. No one was answering the door. The police found that suspicious and so broke inside the flat. There was a woman lying on the bed with wounds on her neck that were caused by a sharp object,” Kok said.

“She sustained severe injuries to her neck. Her head was almost cut off.”

The man is 34 years old and his mother was 77 years old. The elderly woman suffered from chronic illness, Kok said, without giving further details.

A kitchen knife, believed to be the weapon used in the attack, was found inside the flat.

The force is trying to find out if the son killed his mother because of the pressure he was under while taking care of her, Kok said.

The pair lived with two domestic workers but they were not inside the flat when the incident took place.

Couple found dead at luxury Hong Kong residence in suspected murder-suicide

The man was in critical condition on Sunday night and was being treated at the Prince Margaret Hospital in Lai Chi Kok.

Kwai Tsing district councillor Raymond Chow Wai-hung said he had previously spoken with the man who fell from the apartment.

Chow said the man previously told him he had quit his job as a social worker to take care of his mother, who suffered from chronic diseases and had problems walking. The man also told Chow that he was under a lot of pressure taking care of his mother but had not shown any intention to commit suicide. Chow added that he could not believe what had happened.

In February, a 56-year-old woman with dementia was believed to have been strangled to death with a belt at home before her husband killed himself, sources said at the time.

Sources said Au Kin-ming, 58, plunged to his death from his 15th-floor flat in King Ying House on Fung Shing Street in Diamond Hill.

Before Au killed himself, he sent a text message to his siblings saying he wanted to take his own life. He used the word “hopeless” in the message.

His wife had suffered from dementia for about three years.