image

Hong Kong police

Hong Kong police hunt for three men who stole 127,000 yuan from victim at cash machine in Sha Tin

Victim robbed as he attempted to deposit cash that his daughter gave him to buy a hut in the New Territories

PUBLISHED : Tuesday, 10 October, 2017, 5:29pm
UPDATED : Tuesday, 10 October, 2017, 5:57pm

Hong Kong police were searching on Tuesday for three men who assaulted a 55-year-old man at a cash machine and stole 127,000 yuan (HK$149,590) in Sha Tin.

The men, wearing caps and face masks, attacked the victim from behind as he and his wife were depositing 50,000 yuan into a Bank of China cash deposit machine in Wang Pok Street at about 9.30pm on Monday night, police said. The men grabbed the victim’s shoulder bag, which contained the 127,000 yuan, and fled the scene.

Man arrested, five sought for HK$7.68m knifepoint robbery of two mainland Chinese visitors

“After being punched in the head by two of the robbers, the victim felt dizzy and his head hit the machine,” a police source said. “His wife tried to intervene but was stopped by the third culprit.”

Police said the victim believed the men were South Asian.

The money was part of 200,000 yuan given to the man by his daughter, who lives on the mainland. He was planning on using the cash to buy a hut in the New Territories, the source said.

Police said 23,000 yuan was retrieved at the scene after the cash fell out of the bag and scattered on the ground during the attack.

The man had deposited 50,000 yuan into a bank account through an ATM in Tai Wai earlier that evening.

The victim was treated for head injuries at Prince of Wales Hospital and later discharged. His wife was unhurt.

Man arrested after HK$1.1 million daylight robbery outside Hong Kong mall

Police said one of the suspects was wearing brown trousers and the other was wearing a black windcheater at the time of the incident.

Another source said it was possible the victim was followed by the robbers to Sha Tin from Sheung Shui where he tried to deposit money in an ATM but was unsuccessful.

Police were checking security camera footage to gather evidence.

There were 102 reports of robbery in the first seven months of this year, according to police statistics, a 36 per cent drop compared with 161 in the same period last year.