Firefighters discover two dead after breaking into Hong Kong flat to investigate odd smell
Deceased, a man and woman, believed to be couple in their 40s
Police are investigating whether foul play was involved in the death of a couple whose bodies were found in a Hong Kong public housing flat on Thursday.
Initial investigation indicated the couple appeared to be in their 40s and had been dead for at least several days as the bodies had been decomposing, according to a police source.
He said no obvious injuries were found on the man, who was discovered in bed in the couple’s flat on the 32nd floor of Ching Chiu House at Ching Ho Estate in Sheung Shui.
The decomposing body of his wife was on the floor and there was a wound measuring several centimetres at the rear of her head.
The source said an autopsy would be carried out to establish the cause of the deaths.
Police said there was no sign of fighting in the flat.
“The flat was locked from inside with all the windows closed and no signs of forced entry,” Tai Po district assistant commander Jasper Choi Chun-hoo said. “We believe no one else had been there.”
The source added: “No burned charcoal or suicide note was found. The case did not appear to be a suicide.”
Firefighters discovered the two bodies on Thursday morning after breaking into the flat to follow up on a complaint about an odd smell.
Emergency crews were called in at about 10.30am after receiving a report from a security guard.
“Emergency personnel arrived, but no one answered the door,” a spokeswoman said. “Firefighters broke into the flat and found two bodies – a male and a female – inside.”
Detectives from the Tai Po district crime squad were handling the case.
Medicines were found inside the flat, but investigators had to see if they were related to the deaths.
Choi said the couple had been looked after by social workers for illnesses.
The source added police had been called to the couple’s flat earlier this year after the pair had a heated argument.
It was understood the two had abused drugs and the woman lived on welfare money. They had lived in the estate more than 10 years.
The couple had a son, aged about 20, but he was not living with them.
A Social Welfare Department spokesman said the household had not been followed by its social workers. It had contacted the couple’s relatives to provide help.
Additional reporting by Danny Mok