image image

Crime in Hong Kong

Suspected Hong Kong triad member dies after meat cleaver attack on vehicles and shop

Subdued in grocery store, man understood to be unemployed and drug abuser

PUBLISHED : Thursday, 19 October, 2017, 2:09pm
UPDATED : Thursday, 19 October, 2017, 8:35pm

A suspected Hong Kong triad member who used a meat chopper to damage vehicles and a grocery store died in hospital on Wednesday night after passers-by subdued him by pinning him to the ground, police said.

The 34-year-old man hit four vehicles – a private minibus, a KMB double-decker, a taxi and a private car – with a meat cleaver at the junction of Nathan Road and Gascoigne Road in Yau Ma Tei at about 8.15pm on Wednesday.

He then ran into the nearby Alhambra building, flinging down his knife and entering a grocery store where he threw fruits that were on display on the floor.

A police source told the Post the culprit then attempted to grab a wooden ladder but the shopkeeper managed to stop him by holding firmly to the ladder. During the struggle, the man tumbled to the floor and the ladder fell on him, hitting his hips and legs.

A male passer-by and an off-duty policeman then rushed forward and pinned the culprit on the floor
police source

“A male passer-by and an off-duty policeman then rushed forward and pinned the culprit on the floor before more policemen arrived,” the source said.

The source added the man was lying face down on the floor. He was found to be unconscious and taken to Kwong Wah Hospital, where medical staff declared him dead soon after 9pm.

No one else was injured in the incident, police said.

The district’s assistant commander for crime, Superintendent Chan Tsz-leung, said there were no reported injuries to the people in the vehicles that the man attacked. There were also no obvious injuries found on the man, and an autopsy and toxicology test were to be carried out to establish the cause of death.

The Post understands that the man was unemployed, a suspected Wo Shing Wo triad member and a drug abuser.

“It is possible the man had been high on cocaine when he was causing mayhem on the street,” the police source said.

The driver of the minibus that was attacked, who gave his surname as Wong, said the man had asked him to open the door of the bus.

“Of course, I did not open. He then used the knife to hit the vehicle many times.”

Suspected Hong Kong triad member arrested after allegedly forcing elderly man to drink Coke at knifepoint

Police on Thursday appealed for witnesses to step forward and said anyone with information should contact the force by calling 3661 9341 or 3661 9578.

The Post understands from another police source that the man did not have a permanent residence, as investigations found he had often stayed in guest houses in the Kowloon West region. Officers planned to review security footage in the guest houses as part of their investigations.