Hong Kong courts

Builder jailed 32 months by Hong Kong court for slashing teenage son on face

Dinh Khac Muoi, 45, was arguing with his wife over his drinking and smoking habits, when he attacked their son who sided with his mother

PUBLISHED : Monday, 30 October, 2017, 9:47pm
UPDATED : Monday, 30 October, 2017, 10:47pm

A Vietnamese construction worker who slashed his teenage son on the face with a 28cm knife during a family argument was jailed for 32 months by a Hong Kong court on Monday.

The District Court heard the sudden attack on March 10 left the boy, 15, with a 10cm scar between his eyes and nose, signs of post-traumatic stress disorder and a reluctance to live with his father again.

However, he joined his mother in writing to the court, urging leniency for his father.

Hong Kong policeman injured in knife attack by ‘mentally ill’ suspect

Dinh Khac Muoi, 45, who pleaded guilty last month to one count of wounding with intent, said he was very remorseful.

“The defendant is very, very remorseful because he single-handedly destroyed his son’s future,” lawyer Damy Lou said.

Prosecutors revealed that Dinh had 14 past convictions that included burglary, intimidation, drug possession and trafficking.

On that day, his wife came home to find him yelling and very emotional while also reeking of alcohol. She tried persuading him to quit drinking and smoking, but their conversation soon escalated into an argument.

Upon hearing the commotion, their son emerged from his room and sided with his mother.

But instead of arguing with his son, Dinh went for a kitchen knife and attacked the boy.

His wife then shut herself and their two children in the bedroom while the police were called. Dinh kicked the bedroom door a few times before leaving the flat.

Upon his arrest, he admitted that he drank 500ml of alcohol daily.

His son stayed 10 days in hospital after being given 11 stitches.

A victim impact assessment showed the teenager was making good progress in physical recovery, but was emotionally traumatised by the attack, displaying symptoms that would require psychotherapy.

His elder sister also reported feeling angry at her father.

Judge Timothy Casewell said the offence was aggravated by the fact that it took place within a family and it arose out of Dinh’s inability to control his alcohol use.

He also noted that the weapon used was capable of inflicting serious harm and that it was fortunate the boy did not suffer more severe injuries.