image image

Crime in Hong Kong

Alleged Hong Kong triad leader ‘Shanghai Boy’ out on HK$200,000 bail after arrest for money laundering

Kwok Wing-hung was held for questioning for more than 24 hours after being picked up in early morning police raid

PUBLISHED : Thursday, 02 November, 2017, 3:01pm
UPDATED : Thursday, 02 November, 2017, 10:17pm

Alleged Hong Kong triad leader “Shanghai Boy” Kwok Wing-hung, who was arrested on Wednesday for laundering more than HK$100 million, was released on HK$200,000 bail after being held for questioning for more than 24 hours.

Kwok, 59, was seen leaving Western Police Station at Des Voeux Road West in a Toyota seven-seater car before 1pm on Thursday.

A police spokesman said Kwok had been granted police bail and had to report to officers next month pending further investigation.

Kwok was picked up soon after daybreak on Wednesday when officers from the Narcotics Bureau’s financial investigation squad raided his flat in Repulse Bay – one of the city’s most expensive residential areas. Some documents were seized during the operation.

Who is Hong Kong’s alleged triad leader ‘Shanghai Boy’ Kwok Wing-hung?

Police said Kwok was suspected of laundering more than HK$100 million through four local bank accounts between January 2007 and July 2012.

The Post learned that the money was believed to be the proceeds of illegal bookmaking activities.

Kwok is said to have been the head of the Wo Shing Wo triad from 1998 to 2000. Sources believe he is still a faction leader and has great influence within the gang.

In August 2012, Kwok and two rural leaders, Tsang Shu-wo and Tang Lai-tung, were among 130 people arrested in an anti-triad crackdown against two gangs suspected of laundering HK$300 million. Kwok was never charged over the laundering allegation and released unconditionally in 2015.

In December 2015, he was punched in the face by a man in a cafe at The Peninsula hotel in Tsim Sha Tsui, in what was thought to be a dispute over financial problems with his Macau business.

In July last year, he was arrested for criminal intimidation, conspiracy to wound with intent and conspiracy to blackmail after he returned to Hong Kong from Thailand. He was released on bail and told to report to police next January.

Kwok became a familiar name to the public in 2012 when it was reported that he attended a dinner with aides to then chief executive candidate Leung Chun-ying.

The news prompted accusations that Leung and his team were colluding with triads, which they strongly denied. Leung, and his supporters said they did not know Kwok and had not invited him, and the Independent Commission Against Corruption later called off an investigation into the alleged collusion.

Leung was eventually elected to the city’s top job, although he decided not to seek re-election after his first term.