image image

Crime in Hong Kong

Hong Kong man arrested after leading police on high-speed car chase in Mercedes-Benz

Illegal drugs found in jacket and car of suspect who hit six other vehicles

PUBLISHED : Tuesday, 07 November, 2017, 4:11pm
UPDATED : Tuesday, 07 November, 2017, 10:53pm

The driver of a black Mercedes-Benz was arrested after leading police on an 8km high-speed chase across Hong Kong on Tuesday.

The pursuit ended when the car slammed into the back of a Kowloon Motor Bus double-decker on Lei Yue Mun Road in Lam Tin. It had hit six other vehicles during the chase.

Chief Inspector Yuen Sze-hoo of the Kowloon East traffic unit said: “The car was running at more than 100km/h in an 80km/h zone on the Kwun Tong Bypass during the pursuit.”

Officers found 31 packets of suspected cocaine worth HK$18,000 in the suspect’s jacket and inside the car. Police were looking into whether the vehicle was being used to deliver the contraband.

High-speed car chase in Hong Kong ends abruptly with bus crash

The 21-year-old driver was arrested for various offences including furious driving and possession of illegal drugs. On Tuesday night he was still being held for questioning and had not been charged.

The car chase began shortly after 9am, when a traffic sergeant on motorcycle patrol saw the Mercedes-Benz stopped in the fast lane of Hammer Hill Road near the junction with Lung Cheung Road in Choi Hung.

When the sergeant approached the car, it sped away. The sergeant then gave chase and called for reinforcements.

The car drove onto Po Kong Village Road and entered Tate’s Cairn Tunnel heading towards Sha Tin. At the Sha Tin exit, the driver made a U-turn, hit another car, and re-entered the tunnel. He then exited again and drove onto the Kwun Tong Bypass heading towards Lam Tin.

Manhunt for driver who hit six people – including a six-year-old – on two busy Hong Kong streets

Yuen said the officers sounded their sirens and signalled for the driver to pull over, but he refused to stop and continued fleeing at high speed.

As it approached the Kwun Tong Bypass flyover outside Kwun Tong Police Station, the Mercedes-Benz collided with a taxi and another car but continued going for a short distance before it slammed into another two vehicles outside Lam Tin MTR station – a tourist bus followed by the double-decker.

The vehicle came to a stop on Lei Yue Mun Road, where the driver jumped out and ran across the street before heading for Lam Tin MTR station. He took off his jacket and dumped it on the ground before entering the station, where he was stopped and subdued.

BMW driver leads Hong Kong police on 4km high-speed chase before slamming into taxis and road barrier

Police said the chase lasted about six minutes.

The cabbie whose taxi was hit by the Mercedes-Benz complained of chest pain and was taken to United Christian Hospital for treatment.

Detectives from the Kwun Tong police district were handling the case.