Seven-man knife attack in Hong Kong children’s playground kills man and injures two
Pakistani city resident, 25, declared dead in hospital after attackers flee scene in car
Two men were arrested on Tuesday after a knife-wielding gang slashed in the neck and killed a 25-year-old man in a Hong Kong children’s playground.
The Monday night attack, on a group of five Pakistani city residents in Ngau Tau Kok, left two other men in a critical condition in hospital.
By the morning police had arrested two men, aged 26 and 39 and both of Pakistani origin, over the attack by a group of at least seven. The gang’s getaway car turned up in Wong Tai Sin during the early hours, police said.
Anti-triad officers, treating the attack as a murder, were investigating the motive.
The attackers struck at about 11pm on Monday, when the five victims were sat chatting in Ngau Tau Kok Road children’s playground.
A police source said that seven or eight armed men jumped out of a seven-seater car on Ngau Tau Kok Road, and attacked them. The gang fled the scene before police arrived.
When officers got to the scene, they found two men, both 25, injured. One was taken to Queen Elizabeth Hospital. The other was taken unconscious to United Christian Hospital, but was declared dead soon after 11.45pm.
Another victim, 23, with wounds on his shoulders, back and waist, had managed to flag a taxi and go to United Christian Hospital in Kwun Tong. He was later transferred to Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Yau Ma Tei.
The other two escaped unscathed.
Officers searched the area with a police dog. The scene, which had been sealed off by Tuesday morning, was still marred by two trails of blood 30 metres long.
At about 9am on Tuesday, one of the two uninjured men returned to the playground to help police with the investigation.
By lunchtime, the two injured men were still in critical condition.
Police said the two suspects were being held for questioning and had not been charged.