image image

Crime in Hong Kong

Hong Kong police investigate murder-suicide after man jumps from flat and girlfriend dies from stab wounds

A police source said the unmarried pair had lived together for about 20 years, but were having relationship problems

PUBLISHED : Wednesday, 15 November, 2017, 2:45pm
UPDATED : Wednesday, 15 November, 2017, 10:47pm

Police in Hong Kong were investigating a murder-suicide on Wednesday after a 54-year-old man jumped to his death, leaving his girlfriend unconscious with stab wounds in their 20th-floor flat. The man was suspected of attacking the 50-year-old woman, who later died in hospital.

The man, surnamed Ho, landed on the first-floor canopy of Fu Ying House at Fu Cheong Estate in Sham Shui Po.

Emergency personnel were called to the scene at 12.50pm after receiving a report from an unidentified woman.

“He was certified dead by paramedics at the scene,” a police spokesman said.

Officers later received a phone call from the woman’s 23-year-old son, who woke up and found his mother with stab wounds in a bedroom. The unconscious woman, surnamed Leung, was taken to the Caritas Medical Centre where she was certified dead.

A police source said Ho and Leung lived together in the flat for about 20 years but were not married. Initial investigations showed they had relationship problems.

Leung had two children with her former husband – the son and a daughter, 27 – who also lived in the flat.

Sham Shui Po assistant district commander Chan Po-lun said Leung had a strangulation mark on her neck and five chest wounds.

He said investigations showed that Ho had jumped from the kitchen window and police believed he had attacked Leung before that. Officers were treating the case as a murder-suicide.

Couple found dead at luxury Hong Kong residence in suspected murder-suicide

In a separate case on September 4, Chow Wai-fai, 30, and his wife, Fong Yin-ting, 29, were found dead on the patio of a fifth-floor flat of a luxury housing estate – The Coronation – in Yau Ma Tei in a suspected murder-suicide. She had knife wounds in her neck, back and arms.

Police believe that Chow threw Fong from the balcony of their 28th-floor flat before jumping to his death.

The incident happened about a week after the husband had been accused of having extramarital affairs and had moved out of the flat. The couple were both government workers.