image image

Crime in Hong Kong

Hong Kong construction worker, 39, arrested after alleged attempt to grab police officer’s gun

Scuffle took place as officers arrested suspect for hitting 12-year-old daughter after she refused to go to bed

PUBLISHED : Monday, 19 March, 2018, 8:58am
UPDATED : Monday, 19 March, 2018, 8:58am

A Hong Kong construction worker was arrested on Saturday night after a failed attempt to snatch a police officer’s gun, just days after another man was arrested over a similar incident.

The suspect, 39, allegedly beat his 12-year-old elder daughter with a hanger in their home on Sun Ning Road in Cheung Sha Wan after she refused to go to bed.

The girl sustained minor arm injuries during the beating. Her father called an ambulance hours later, at about 11.50pm.

A police source said the suspect appeared calm at first but became emotional when officers arrested him for child cruelty.

Suicidal mainland Chinese man jailed for snatching gun from Hong Kong police officer and shooting him

He was said to have got hold of the grip of an officer’s revolver. Two other officers immediately pinned the suspect down. The gun remained in its holster.

One policeman was left with minor facial injuries. He and the girl were taken to the nearby Caritas Medical Centre for treatment.

The source said the man had been under medication for mental issues, but he had not taken it for three days before the incident. The issues was triggered by his lack of stable employment and income since November.

The suspect has lived with his wife, a son and two daughters in the rented flat for seven years.

Bail denied to drunk man who snatched Hong Kong policeman’s gun and injured two officers

In a separate case on Thursday morning, a 30-year-old man allegedly fired three shots as he snatched a revolver from an officer’s holster in his home at Mau Lam House, Kwong Lam Court, in Sha Tin.

One constable was shot in his right hand and right leg, while another had his right leg grazed by a bullet. Both are in stable condition.

The officers had gone to the flat after a family member called to report that the man was drunk and creating a disturbance at home.