image image

Hong Kong rescue services

Police, firefighters and helicopter join search for missing Hong Kong man in rural Yuen Long

Man disappeared after heading off to a hillside to remember his ancestors on the Ching Ming festival

PUBLISHED : Saturday, 07 April, 2018, 5:49pm
UPDATED : Saturday, 07 April, 2018, 11:24pm

Rescuers from four Hong Kong government bodies launched a land and air search around the northwestern town of Yuen Long on Saturday for a man who went missing two days earlier.

Lok Sam-hing, 56, disappeared after leaving his home in rural Wang Toi Shan Shan Tsuen on Thursday morning – the day of the Ching Ming festival, also known as tomb sweeping day.

He had set off for a nearby hill to pay tribute to his ancestors.

His family reported his absence to authorities later in the day.

Police officers on Saturday joined forces with the Fire Services Department, Civil Aid Service and the Government Flying Service for a search operation that began at around 9am.

Firefighters covered the area between the villages of Shui Kan Shek Tsuen and Wang Toi Shan Shan Tsuen, while civil aid rescuers searched between Chuk Hang Tsuen and Sun Lung Wai Tsuen.

Government helicopters surveyed the area from the air.

Missing Chinese schoolgirl rescued after 11-day ordeal

The search was called off at 6.30pm on Saturday and was due to resume on Sunday.

Lok was described as about 1.65 metres tall, 50kg and “of medium build”.

“He has a long face with a yellow complexion and short straight white hair,” a government notice said.

“He was last seen wearing an orange and grey cap, a black and white striped shirt, black knee pants and light-coloured sandals.”

The government appealed to anyone with information to contact police on +852 3661 3112 or +852 6273 5787, or email [email protected].

The Ching Ming festival is one of two annual occasions when Hongkongers pay their respects to their ancestors by sweeping and burning paper offerings at their graves. The other is the Chung Yeung festival. Almost 100 bush fires were reported around the city on Thursday.