Few young people join Hong Kong march to commemorate 1989 Tiananmen crackdown

Months after last year's youth-dominated Occupy movement, young faces were noticeably absent from yesterday's march to mark the 1989 Tiananmen crackdown, as the idea of separating the city's fight for democracy from the mainland's gains popularity with young people.
About 3,000 people took part in the march, according to its organiser the Alliance in Support of Patriotic Democratic Movements of China, about the same as its estimate last year. Police put the figure at just 920, down from last year's 1,900.
"I am surprised there are almost no young people," said Alice Zhang, 20, who travelled from Shenzhen to join the march for the first time as she could not join Thursday's June 4 vigil.
Watch: Police say almost 1000 join annual June 4 Tiananmen Square remembrance march in Hong Kong
Asked what she made of the seemingly waning support among Hong Kong youth for building a democratic China, the first-year university student said she saw no conflict between the two movements. "Hong Kong is already China's best hope for achieving democracy," she said.
"Only when mainlanders see democracy is working in Hong Kong will a nationwide political awakening be possible."