About 3,000 police officers will be assigned to keep an eye on the expected 100,000 people turning out for the annual July 1 pro-democracy march tomorrow in the wake of the city's latest clash between "localist" and Beijing supporters, police sources say. Police are wary of any fresh chaos between democracy marchers and counter-protesters along the route from Causeway Bay to government headquarters in Admiralty, given the Mong Kok mayhem on Sunday. "Sufficient manpower will also be deployed to guard against any surprise protests staged apart from the annual march," one police source said yesterday. It is understood that Kowloon West, despite being located away from the thick of the action, will be monitored by more than 200 officers ready to deal with any unforeseen rally. Pandemonium reared its ugly head in the area again on Sunday night, when radical activists driven by anti-mainland sentiment railed against a group of people singing in Putonghua at Sai Yeung Choi Street South, and were in turn challenged by Beijing supporters. Police arrested five people and used pepper spray to disperse the crowds. The four men and one woman arrested have been released on bail. Yesterday, Tse Kwok-wai, senior superintendent in charge of operations on Hong Kong Island, urged participants in tomorrow's march to obey the law and follow police instructions, and to refrain from engaging in illegal acts. "Police will not tolerate any acts endangering public order and public safety," Tse stressed. "Police will take resolute and effective actions against any violent and illegal behaviour in order to restore social order." He also appealed to the public to express their views in a peaceful and lawful manner and not to be incited by trouble-makers into breaking the law. The July 1 march, organised yearly by the Civil Human Rights Front, will start from Victoria Park at 3pm and end with a rally along Tim Mei Avenue. The police sources said this year's deployment was similar in scale to that mobilised to deal with last year's march. Police have their eye on a public meeting to be held from 2pm to 6.30pm tomorrow under the Canal Road Flyover in Wan Chai, where the pro-Beijing Defend Hong Kong Campaign plans to remind residents to register as voters for the November district council elections. "To avoid conflict with marchers at this site, police will mobilise sufficient manpower to separate them and maintain law and order," another source said. The main theme of this year's march is "to build a democratic Hong Kong and regain the future". Organisers will call for a relaunch of the electoral reform exercise and amendments to the Basic Law, including to Article 45, which stipulates a nominating committee shall be responsible for putting forward chief executive hopefuls when the city elects its leader by popular ballot. Ahead of the event, at least five groups, including the Democratic and Civic parties, failed to get their temporary licences for street fundraising approved by the Food and Environmental Hygiene Department, according to the front. Its convenor, Daisy Chan Sin-ying, filed a petition to the Licensing Appeals Board under the Food and Health Bureau. "The department quoted police as saying the street booths will obstruct marchers and pedestrians."