-
Advertisement
Lancome
Hong KongPolitics

She wants answers: Denise Ho urges L’Oreal boss in Hong Kong to explain concert cancellation

Canto-pop star describes silence as ‘extremely disrespectful’ while petitions supporting her carry on

Reading Time:2 minutes
Why you can trust SCMP
Ho claimed she was trying to reach Stephen Mosely, president of L’Oreal in Hong Kong, but to no avail. Photo: L’Oreal
Tony Cheung

Canto-pop star Denise Ho Wan-sze has ramped up the pressure on L’Oreal, directly contacting the ­cosmetic giant’s top official in Hong Kong to demand a “sincere” explanation about its controversial ­cancellation of her mini-concert.

Ho said it would be “extremely disrespectful” to Hongkongers if the company’s local president and managing director Stephen Mosely was to leave the matter “unresolved”.

Neither Mosely nor L’Oreal had anything to add to its statement on Sunday in which it announced the concert had been cancelled due to safety concerns. Photo: L’Oreal
Neither Mosely nor L’Oreal had anything to add to its statement on Sunday in which it announced the concert had been cancelled due to safety concerns. Photo: L’Oreal
Advertisement

“Hongkongers are so fed up with all the ­unresolved [controversies] in the city,” she said. “It happened with Chief Executive [Leung Chun-ying], the government, high-ranking officials and the ­police. Is it now that even businessmen are leaving things unresolved?”

L’Oreal has been accused of ditching Ho, an outspoken democracy activist who joined the Occupy protests, for fear of losing business on the mainland.

Advertisement

Writing on her Facebook page yesterday, Ho urged public support for an online petition created by retired Paris-based teacher Beatrice Desgranges demanding L’Oreal reconsider the cancellation of the concert. The petition had more than 66,000 signatures by 10.30pm yesterday. Desgranges told the Post she was “proud and glad of Ho’s endorsement”.

Advertisement
Select Voice
Select Speed
1.00x