Advertisement
Legislative Council of Hong Kong
Hong KongPolitics

‘Large portion’ of Hong Kong localist lawmakers likely to keep Legco seats, former justice minister says

Elsie Leung’s comments offered a day before High Court issues ruling on judicial review involving Youngspiration pair at centre of oath saga

4-MIN READ4-MIN
Basic Law Committee vice-chairwoman Elsie Leung Oi-sie in Kowloon Tong on Monday. Photo: David Wong
Phila Siu

A day before a Hong Kong court issues a ruling on a judicial review involving two localist lawmakers-elect, a legal heavyweight in the city says she does not believe “a large portion” of the other non-establishment lawmakers facing legal challenges will lose their seats.

Former justice secretary Elsie Leung Oi-sie offered her observation on Monday as pro-government group The Voice of Loving Hong Kong said it would seek a judicial review later in the day to disqualify the 11 pan-democratic and localist lawmakers who altered their Legislative Council oaths last month.

Her comment came as the High Court announced it would issue a ruling on Tuesday on the government’s judicial review case filed against Sixtus Baggio Leung Chung-hang and Yau Wai-ching, the two localist lawmakers-elect whose swearing-in ceremonies sparked the controversy.

Advertisement

Watch: thousands attend rally opposing Hong Kong independence

The 13 lawmakers included the eight targeted in a separate judicial review application filed last week by Robin Cheng Yuk-kai, a veteran member of the Taxi Drivers and Operators Association. He asked the court to declare the swearing-in of eight lawmakers invalid.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Select Voice
Select Speed
1.00x