Chinese military official in Hong Kong vows to combat ‘evil separatist forces’ and safeguard city’s prosperity and stability
- Statement comes as unrest over now-abandoned extradition bill gradually transforms into a movement against government and police in Hong Kong
- Last Wednesday, the Hong Kong and Macau Affairs Office director warned Beijing would not sit by if crisis escalated beyond local government’s control
The deputy political commissar of the Chinese military garrison in Hong Kong has vowed to combat “evil separatist forces” and safeguard the city’s prosperity and stability.
“The garrison will continue its tradition to safeguard the long-term prosperity and stability of Hong Kong, and will be determined to combat evil separatist forces,” Chen said on the sidelines of the army’s annual blood donation drive on Friday morning.
He said the People’s Liberation Army’s Hong Kong garrison had been actively taking part in charities to “strengthen the blood-and-flesh connection” with local citizens.
Last Wednesday, Chen Daoxiang, the commander of the PLA’s Hong Kong garrison, warned that violent clashes would not be tolerated, adding that the army was determined to protect China’s sovereignty.