-
Advertisement
Hong Kong's national security law
Hong KongPolitics

Beijing vows to ‘resolutely counter-attack’ any US visa restrictions on Hong Kong officials over Article 23 domestic national security law

  • Chinese foreign ministry spokesman Wang Wenbin warns US over possible travel restrictions floated by Secretary of State Antony Blinken
  • War of words follows US report criticising new domestic national security law, as Wang urges Washington to understand ‘one country, two systems’ governing principle

Reading Time:3 minutes
Why you can trust SCMP
49
Flags fly outside the Legislative Council building. Hong Kong authorities earlier also condemned the US for “untruthful remarks, slanders and smears”. Photo: Jelly Tse
Edith LinandWilla Wu
Beijing has vowed to “resolutely counter-attack” any potential moves by the US to impose visa restrictions on Hong Kong officials over the enactment of the city’s domestic national security law.

Chinese foreign ministry spokesman Wang Wenbin warned against the curbs on Monday, three days after US Secretary of State Antony Blinken said Washington was considering imposing travel restrictions on Hong Kong officials deemed “responsible for the intensifying crackdown on rights and freedoms”.

Wang said Beijing was strongly opposed to Blinken’s “so-called report”, which he labelled “irresponsible”, and had already made its concerns clear to Washington.

Advertisement

“[The United States] confused right and wrong, as well as seriously interfered in Hong Kong affairs and China’s internal affairs,” he said at a press briefing in Beijing.

Blinken made the comments in a press statement about an annual report submitted to the US Congress as part of the country’s Hong Kong Policy Act, which was enacted in 1992. The act gives Washington discretion to treat the city separately from mainland China in areas such as trade and economic engagement.

Foreign ministry spokesman Wang Wenbin at a press conference last month. He says the US has “also seriously violated the principles of international law and the basic norms of international relations”. Photo: dpa
Foreign ministry spokesman Wang Wenbin at a press conference last month. He says the US has “also seriously violated the principles of international law and the basic norms of international relations”. Photo: dpa

Wang added that the US had “also seriously violated the principles of international law and the basic norms of international relations”.

Advertisement
Select Voice
Select Speed
1.00x