Sun Hung Kai Properties

Former Sun Hung Kai Properties chairman Walter Kwok was with ‘loving family’ when he died, wife says

  • Property mogul passed away on Saturday after months in hospital
PUBLISHED : Sunday, 21 October, 2018, 2:24pm
UPDATED : Sunday, 21 October, 2018, 10:23pm

Property mogul Walter Kwok Ping-sheung was with “loving family” when he died on Saturday morning, his relatives have said.

In a short statement released on Sunday, Kwok’s wife of more than 30 years said the former Sun Hung Kai Properties (SHKP) chairman “left this world peacefully … with his loving family by his bedside”.

Wendy Kwok Lee Ting-wing thanked the medical team at Hong Kong Adventist Hospital who had been caring for her husband, who was 68.

“We would like to extend our sincerest gratitude to the supportive team of doctors and nurses, as well as to all our relatives, friends and business acquaintances for their loving care and concern,” she wrote.

Hong Kong property magnate Walter Kwok dies, aged 68

“Church service arrangements will be announced in due course.”

SHKP on Sunday, meanwhile, expressed “great sadness and sorrow” at the death of its former chairman.

It noted in a statement that Kwok had been chairman and managing director from 1990 to 2008, having succeeded his father, the group’s founder Kwok Tak-seng, and had led “the company to significant growth and development during his tenure”.

The company sent its “deepest condolences and sympathies” to his family, relatives and friends.

Kwok had been ill for some time, having been found unconscious following a stroke at his Deep Water Bay home in August. He was first admitted to Ruttonjee Hospital’s intensive care unit, before being transferred to Adventist Hospital.

In a previous statement after the stroke, Wendy Kwok said the businessman was being treated by multiple doctors.

He was ousted as chairman of SHKP – one of the city’s biggest property companies – in 2008, and was removed as a beneficiary of the family trust in 2010. He later regained his place in the trust, after striking a deal that led to his permanent departure from the company.

The tycoon was the victim of a kidnapping in 1997, when he was taken by gunmen working for gangster Cheung Tze-keung.

He was held captive for six days and later claimed the incident sent him into a depression for a year.