image

Accidents and personal safety in Hong Kong

Three people in hospital after fire in Hong Kong tenement block

  • Thirty residents had fled the building by the time firefighters arrived
PUBLISHED : Friday, 23 November, 2018, 1:56pm
UPDATED : Friday, 23 November, 2018, 1:56pm

Three people were in hospital on Friday morning after a fire broke out in a nine-storey tenement block in Hong Kong.

Emergency services were called at 9.47am when a first-floor subdivided flat burst into flames in Kam Ning House, a 47-year-old block on Fuk Wing Street, Sham Shui Po.

Nine fire engines and three ambulances were sent to the scene, according to the Fire Services Department.

A spokeswoman for the department said 30 residents fled the building before firefighters arrived.

She said firefighters used a water jet to battle the blaze, which was extinguished at 10.09am. The subdivided flat was severely damaged.

“Three residents – two men aged 42 and 70 and a woman, 67 – complained of feeling unwell after inhaling smoke,” she said. The three were sent to hospital.

A police spokesman said the fire was believed to have been caused by a short circuit in a fridge and an initial investigation found nothing suspicious.

Fire at Hong Kong public housing block hurts two

Shortly after the blaze was put out, affected residents were allowed to return home.