Spirit of Christmas behind hotel’s gingerbread workshop for 30 Hong Kong children
- Sino Hotels Group hosts 30 youngsters for day, as staff help to teach them how to make the tasty treat
The sound of laughter filled the air as 30 children aged between six and 12 learned how to make gingerbread men for the first time at a hotel in Tuen Mun.
Pairs of little hands began to knead and roll out the dough soon after instructions were given, creating one human-shaped pastry piece after another.
Management and staff at the Hong Kong Gold Coast Hotel, helped those in need of guidance, or provided tips on decorating the gingerbread men, which were baked in the oven for the children to take home.
The children, who all live on a public housing estate in Kwun Tong, were invited to a Christmas party by Sino Hotels Group, which is helping raise funds for Operation Santa Claus, the annual charity campaign jointly organised by the Post and public broadcaster RTHK.
In addition to the gingerbread workshop session, the youngsters, who have been beneficiaries of the charity ChickenSoup Foundation’s services, were treated to a Christmas buffet.
The festive occasion on December 1 was capped off with a Christmas tree lighting ceremony in the hotel’s lobby, where the children sang Jingle Bells, and We Wish You a Merry Christmas, to thank the hotel group for the special day.
Kevin Chuc, group general manager of Sino Hotels, called the half-day event a meaningful occasion.
“Little children have had an opportunity to experience the making of gingerbread men and houses. To them, it is an education,” he said.
“The true spirit of Christmas is the gift of love and of kindness. Christmas reminds us how blessed we are to spread good cheer together, as Sino Hotels, and as a community.”
As a long-term partner, Sino Hotels look forward to continuing to work with Operation Santa Claus, Chuc added.
The Hong Kong Gold Coast Hotel, together with The Royal Pacific Hotel & Towers, City Garden Hotel, Island Pacific Hotel, The Pottinger Hong Kong and the Gold Coast Yacht & Country Club within the group, take part in raising money for Operation Santa Claus by holding charity sales.
All proceeds go towards supporting the annual fundraiser.
How you can give:
- Donate online by credit card at osc.scmp.com/donate
- Donate at an ATM or at any HSBC branch (account no: 502-676299-001 for SCMP Charities Ltd Operation Santa Claus)
- Donate with a cheque payable to “SCMP Charities Ltd – Operation Santa Claus” and mail it to: Operation Santa Claus, South China Morning Post, 19/F, Tower One, Times Square, 1 Matheson Street, Causeway Bay
- Donations of HK$100 or more are tax-deductible. If you would like a tax receipt, please send the completed donation form and original bank receipt, with your name, address and phone number, to the above address. Please call +852 2680 8159 or email [email protected] with any inquiries, or visit us online