Luxury holiday package, fine wine up for grabs during auction in aid of Operation Santa Claus
- About 20 bidders vie for a total of 12 lots during charity breakfast held at Grappa’s Cellar in Central
About 20 bidders battled for vintage wines and a range of goodies at a charity auction in Central on Tuesday.
The event was aimed at raising funds for Operation Santa Claus, the annual charity campaign jointly organised by the South China Morning Post and public broadcaster RTHK.
A total of 12 lots went under the hammer in the 15-minute session, which took place in Grappa’s Cellar at Jardine House after a special edition of the radio programme “Money Talk”, presented by Peter Lewis from RTHK, was broadcast live there.
Contestants, while enjoying the charity breakfast at the restaurant, watched closely the items on offer. The lots, featuring wines and dinner packages, were donated by various companies and individuals.
The real battle began in the bidding for Lot 5 when the auctioneer, Brian Hodgson of Hong Kong Auctions, announced a luxury holiday deal was up for grabs.
A number of individuals competed for the item which sold for HK$13,000 (US$1,663).
The auction was capped off with the sale of a case of fine wine, which fetched HK$2,800.
Lewis said he was pleased to see many people had taken part in the charitable event.
“They had a good time,” the programme host said. “The money raised here goes to a good cause.”
Wayne Jones, who took home the holiday package, said he enjoyed the event greatly.
“I’m happy to be here,” he said.
Mira Gould, who placed a bid on a bottle of Moet Chandon and won it, said she would enjoy the champagne with her family.
“I enjoyed the show. The auction was very exciting,” she added. “I wanted to buy all the items.”
All funds raised from the charity breakfast and auction go to Operation Santa Claus.
The amount of money raised at the event has not been announced.
How you can give:
- Donate online by credit card at osc.scmp.com/donate
- Donate at an ATM or at any HSBC branch (account no: 502-676299-001 for SCMP Charities Ltd Operation Santa Claus)
- Donate with a cheque payable to “SCMP Charities Ltd – Operation Santa Claus” and mail it to: Operation Santa Claus, South China Morning Post, 19/F, Tower One, Times Square, 1 Matheson Street, Causeway Bay
- Donations of HK$100 or more are tax-deductible. If you would like a tax receipt, please send the completed donation form and original bank receipt, with your name, address and phone number, to the above address. Please call +852 2680 8159 or email [email protected] with any inquiries, or visit us online