Festive song contest helps Morgan Stanley staff in Hong Kong raise HK$3.55 million for Operation Santa Claus
- Senior staff from investment bank compete in public event at International Commerce Centre
- Students from Hong Kong Society for the Protection of Children join in the fun
About 100 senior executives and managers at an investment bank shared the festive joy with the public by singing Christmas carols on stage at Hong Kong’s tallest building, the International Commerce Centre, in West Kowloon.
The singers, dressed in their seasonal best, were assembled for the 16th annual Morgan Stanley Directors’ Choir performance.
Drawn from various departments, the senior staff members were then divided into five groups for the song contest.
Staff cheered the teams on as they belted out their chosen Christmas favourites, including Silent Night, Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, Frosty the Snowman, Jingle Bell Rock and Here Comes Santa Claus. Some employees boosted the festive atmosphere by dancing below the stage in classic costume.
Contestants, who had been sponsored to show off their flair for music by colleagues, were joined by 28 students from the Hong Kong Society for the Protection of Children.
The event was part of the banking giant’s fundraising drive to support Operation Santa Claus, the charity campaign jointly organised by the South China Morning Post and public broadcaster RTHK.
Harish Rajaram, chief operating officer of Morgan Stanley in Asia-Pacific, said his colleagues were keen to give back to the community and take part in charity work.
“We see engagement is increasing, especially among the younger staff,” he said. “We have a lot more events put forward by employees. That’s very encouraging for us.”
In addition to the directors’ choir, the firm, which has been supporting Operation Santa Claus for 22 years, held a charity bake auction earlier to raise funds.
The activities raised a record HK$3.55 million for its beneficiary, Po Leung Kuk Residential Child Care Service Unit.
Amid thunderous applause the group that sang Silent Night was announced as the winners of the contest.
The event ended with everyone singing We Wish You a Merry Christmas.
How you can give:
● Donate online by credit card at osc.scmp.com/donate
● Donate at an ATM or at any HSBC branch (account no: 502-676299-001 for SCMP Charities Ltd Operation Santa Claus)
● Donate with a cheque payable to “SCMP Charities Ltd – Operation Santa Claus” and mail it to: Operation Santa Claus, South China Morning Post, 19/F, Tower One, Times Square, 1 Matheson Street, Causeway Bay
● Donations of HK$100 or more are tax-deductible. If you would like a tax receipt, please send the completed donation form and original bank receipt, with your name, address and phone number, to the above address. Please call +852 2680 8159 or email [email protected] with any inquiries, or visit us online