Certification system for Hong Kong’s elderly care homes to launch in next 3 months following damning Ombudsman report on ‘systemic failure’
- Welfare minister Dr Law Chi-kwong says scheme aims to boost standards but will be voluntary as many private facilities lack the resources to implement it
A certification scheme for elderly care homes will be introduced in the next three months to improve service quality, Hong Kong’s welfare minister said on Sunday, but the programme will be voluntary.
Secretary for Labour and Welfare Dr Law Chi-kwong said the government remained cautious about introducing tougher laws to regulate much-criticised private care facilities, as the move could spark “waves of closures” in the city, leaving many elderly Hongkongers with nowhere to go.
Earlier this month the city’s Ombudsman Connie Lau Yin-hing unveiled a four-year investigation which she said had uncovered a systemic failure to protect Hong Kong’s elderly population.
Despite the government having issued thousands of warnings each year, the Ombudsman report said not a single care home had lost its licence.
Law told a television programme on Sunday that officials were devising a system of certification to encourage better procedures and higher standards.