Hong Kong superstar Andy Lau hoping to rearrange cancelled concerts but fans will have to wait for a year
- Canto-pop legend had to pull out of seven shows at Hong Kong Coliseum because of a throat infection, disappointing 80,000 fans
- Concert organiser says it has applied to rent venue in December and will learn the result by the end of January
More than 80,000 fans affected by Canto-pop superstar Andy Lau Tak-wah’s cancellation of seven concerts at the Hong Kong Coliseum are advised not to rush for a refund as the singer is seeking to restage the shows in 12 months.
Focus Entertainment, the production company behind the “My Love Andy Lau World Tour in Hong Kong 2018”, announced on Wednesday that it had applied to the Coliseum to rent the venue in December – the earliest date it was available – and would learn about the result by the end of January.
“If the application is successful, the audience affected can choose to have their tickets rearranged for a new show, or to have a refund. If the application fails, the organising body will arrange a refund immediately,” Focus Entertainment said in its statement.
Those affected are advised to keep “a complete and valid ticket to the cancelled shows”, which must include the stub for concerts between December 29 and January 3, the company said.
Those who attended the December 28 show, at which a tearful Lau axed the concert midway because of a throat infection, are only required to present the punched tickets.
“We would like to express our sincerest apologies again for cancelling seven concerts of Mr Andy Lau from December 28, 2018 to January 3, 2019, and crippling the chance for an audience of over 80,000 to watch the shows,” the company said.
On Wednesday afternoon, Lau revealed on the webpage of his fan club Andy World Club that he had been discharged from hospital.
“I am really sorry and would like to convey my deepest apologies to the affected people again,” he wrote. “My condition has become stable and I left hospital this afternoon. I will get well soon. Thank you for everything you have done for me.”
Of the 15 comments written within the first hour of Focus Entertainment’s post on its Facebook page about the potential rearrangement, 12 wished it success.
User “Carol Fung” wrote: “Hopefully the rearrangement will work. I want it to be rearranged.”
“Stephanie Chan” told “Targo Ng” to “wait another year”, and the latter replied: “Better than never.”
More than 240 comments were left on the world tour’s Facebook page, with user “Cookie Hui” saying: “Please rest well and recover soon. The fans who love you wouldn’t mind waiting.”
The concerts originally planned for the festive season between December 15 and January 3 formed the first leg of Lau’s world tour. It was also the 57-year-old celebrity’s 14th performance at the Coliseum and his first world tour in eight years.
With tickets highly sought-after, there was incidents at box offices including a knife attack in a counter queue and ticket touting, prompting police to conduct plain-clothed operations against scalpers outside the stadium when Lau took to the stage last month.
Although the rest of Lau’s schedule has yet to be announced, he is expected to travel to mainland China this year.
On stage on December 28, a hoarse Lau told thousands in the audience he had to call off the show.
“The doctor said I shouldn’t sing any more, but I really can’t bear to let go,” Lau said midway through the fourth song. “I don’t want everyone to listen to this voice of mine for the whole concert … I’ll have to stop after singing this one song.”
Later that night, Focus Entertainment told fans to keep their tickets for shows from December 28 to 30 for a refund, confirming the concerts had been cancelled so the singer could continue to perform after taking some rest.
But on December 30, the concert organiser made a second announcement that all four of Lau’s remaining shows, from December 31 to January 3, would be cancelled as he was struggling to recover from flu.