Mirror concert accident: event organised for birthday of injured Hong Kong dancer Mo Li as fans call for inquiry results to be released soon
- Well-wishers send love to dancer, still in hospital after giant television screen fell on him at July concert
- More than 100 supporters queue to leave messages of support at city boutique; many appeal for government to speed up inquiry
Fans and members of the public on Wednesday sent their best wishes to a dancer who suffered serious injuries when a giant screen fell on him as he performed at a concert by top boy band Mirror, with some calling for authorities to release the results of an investigation into the tragedy as soon as possible.
More than 100 supporters formed a queue outside the Still House boutique in Causeway Bay’s Haven Street to leave words of encouragement for dancer Mo Li Kai-yin, who is in danger of paralysis from the neck down after the incident in July.
“I hope this assembly of fans will show that we still care about this accident and haven’t forgotten him,” Fish Cheung, a pastor in her forties, said.
The nine-day event was organised by friends of Li to celebrate his 28th birthday, which was on Tuesday, and to drum up public support for the dancer.
Participants collected a feather-shaped sticker and a keychain with a picture of Li before they wrote messages of support on Post-it notes or cards.
An exhibition of photographs of Li, from his childhood to professional highlights onstage, was also on show at the boutique.
Li’s father, Reverend Derek Li Shing-lam, posted on his personal social media accounts that he had attended the exhibition in the afternoon.
“Thank you to all the fans and friends for this preparation of the birthday encouragement event. We really appreciate it,” Li told the Post.
Ian Chan Cheuk-yin, a Mirror member, was spotted among the crowd on Monday, when the nine days started. He left a note of support for Li.
The latest update on Li’s situation from his father last Friday revealed that a cervical collar had been taken off and that his son could turn his head to see outside his ward for the first time since he was injured.
Well-wishers said they hoped the cause of the accident would be released soon, and some criticised concert producer and Mirror management company MakerVille, as well as parent company PCCW, for insufficient follow-up in the wake of the accident.
A concert production professional, who asked not to be identified, said they had attended in a personal capacity to salute the bravery of dancers who risked professional repercussions to organise the event.
“I’m here because I respect the courage of these dancers who organised this event in spite of risks that they may be branded as troublesome by some employers,” the professional said.
This will help raise awareness for dancers’ labour protection interests in the future too,” they added.
Hanna Lam, a 33- year-old housewife, said she was not satisfied with the pace of the government investigation.
“I hope the government will be done with the investigation soon to do justice to Mo and his family,” Lam said. “I also think the amount Richard Li offered Mo’s family wasn’t enough to sustain their expenses in the coming years.”
Richard Li Tzar-kai, the chairman of PCCW, in September promised to donate HK$10 million (US$1.3 million) to help Li after he visited the dancer in hospital, but the offer was declined by the family because the investigation into the tragedy is still under way.
The government has set up an interdepartmental task force, led by the Leisure and Cultural Services Department, to investigate the incident.
The task force presented its preliminary findings in August and blamed the use of a substandard cable and under-reporting of the fallen screen’s weight for the accident.
The Leisure and Cultural Services Department said the investigation was “approaching its end”, and that its results would be released as soon as possible after the report was completed.