Hong Kong authorities urged to bar non-emergency workers from going to work amid adverse weather
- Association for the Rights of Industrial Accident Victims says only a work suspension can safeguard the safety of workers effectively
- But lawmaker argues it is not necessary as long as employees can return to work safely

A Hong Kong rights group has urged authorities to prohibit non-emergency service employees from travelling to work amid extreme weather, saying recently revised guidelines are not enough to keep workers safe.
Fay Siu Sin-man, chief executive of the Association for the Rights of Industrial Accident Victims, made the appeal on Friday, a day after the Labour Department updated the code of practice for adverse weather and extreme conditions.
The code was revised after the city’s first extreme weather condition warning was issued when a ‘once-in-500-years’ rainstorm struck last year.

According to the revised code of practice, employers should consider employees’ safety, as well as the feasibility of travelling to and from work when making contingency measures.
Employers are required to conduct a timely and realistic assessment of whether workers need to report for duty at workplaces.
They should not ask for additional working hours or deduct wages, bonuses, allowances and holidays if employees cannot resume work on time due to adverse weather or extreme conditions.
But association chief Siu said: “Eventually, it still depends on the contract terms and the employers’ demand.
“Employers requesting employees to work under adverse weather and extreme conditions may put workers in danger.