-
Advertisement
Hong Kong’s Tai Po fire tragedy
Hong KongSociety

Hong Kong authorities could vet construction firm directors to tighten oversight

Development chief says government could extend checks beyond project’s authorised person to help plug loopholes after Tai Po fire

Reading Time:2 minutes
Why you can trust SCMP
The deadly fire at Tai Po’s Wang Fuk Court last November exposed lapses in Hong Kong’s system of awarding building and maintenance contracts, among other areas. Photo: Sam Tsang
Vivian Au
Hong Kong authorities could expand background checks on authorised persons in construction projects to cover company directors, the development chief has said, as the government moves to plug policy loopholes exposed by the Tai Po inferno.
Secretary for Development Bernadette Linn Hon-ho indicated the possible policy direction on Wednesday, after experts said earlier this month that government proposals to strengthen the city’s maintenance regime did not go far enough to address long-standing systemic issues.
Among the proposed measures is a new requirement for service providers to undergo vetting by police and the Independent Commission Against Corruption (ICAC).
Advertisement

Authorities have yet to reveal specific details on the vetting process, although it will involve screening the disciplinary records of authorised persons, including checking for any criminal history, to ensure their company qualifies for government projects.

Linn said there was significant feedback regarding the proposal to expand the vetting process beyond “authorised persons”.

Advertisement

“Can we also expand [the scope], and consider checking the track record of directors or subcontractors as well?” she told a radio programme.

Advertisement
Select Voice
Select Speed
1.00x