Advertisement
MTR Corporation
Hong KongTransport

Main contractor at scandal-hit Hung Hom MTR station accused of using wrong rebar, as inquiry of Hong Kong government-appointed commission continues

  • Subcontractor says Leighton Contractors told it to use wrong material
  • Separately, more than 60 per cent of inspection documents remain missing

2-MIN READ2-MIN
Aerial view of the Hung Hom MTR station on the Sha Tin-Central Link in December 2018. Photo: Winson Wong
Cannix Yau

The main contractor at the scandal-plagued Hung Hom MTR station was accused of defective construction work after purchasing the wrong type of rebar, a government commission heard on Monday.

The allegation was levelled against Leighton Contractors (Asia) as the latest round of a high-level inquiry kicked off over new problems reported at three more locations at the station on the HK$97.1 billion (US$12.3 billion) Sha Tin-Central link.

The latest reports of shoddy construction concern the north and south approach tunnels and the Hung Hom station’s side tracks, the commission heard. The new reports followed last year’s allegations of defective work on the station’s platforms and walls.

Advertisement

The commission, which was appointed by the government in July, concluded in March that the structures were safe. Leighton was the main contractor on the job.

Ian Pennicott SC, speaking for the commission, said one problem was “a significant amount” of rebar that was not properly connected, or not connected at all, to the couplers at the three “stitch joints” of the north approach tunnel.

Separately, more than 60 per cent of the inspection documents, known as RISC forms, for the three locations at the station were missing, the commission heard.

Advertisement
Select Voice
Select Speed
1.00x