Advertisement
Hong Kong taxi association threatens strike in effort to pressure government to approve fare increase
- Hong Kong Taxi and Public Light Bus Association says 3,000 drivers will stop offering services next Thursday if 20 per cent fare rise is not approved
- Industry has been calling for higher fares for years, but has been met with delays by government, resistance from commuter advocates
Reading Time:3 minutes
Why you can trust SCMP
43

Some 3,000 taxi drivers are threatening industrial action next week in an effort to pressure the government into giving the green light to a long-sought fare increase of over 20 per cent, an association representing the city’s cabbies has said.
Chau Kwok-keung, chairman of the Hong Kong Taxi and Public Light Bus Association, told the Post drivers might escalate their action if the government kept ignoring their requests for the fare rise.
He said the taxi trade had been calling for the increase for three years, but the government had repeatedly found reasons to delay it, including the social unrest in 2019 and the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic.
Advertisement
“The government is really heartless,” he said. “We have been facing the mounting pressure of rising fuel prices and premiums amid the pandemic.
“The government can’t expect us to serve the public at our own expense, can it?”
Advertisement
Advertisement
Select Voice
Select Speed
1.00x