KMB drivers urge company to reduce number of routes per shift after fatal crash involving Hong Kong double-decker bus
- Staff Rights Association of KMB says some drivers are taking on more than three routes per shift, increasing the risk of accidents
- Association vice-chairman Louis Chan says driver of double-decker bus that overturned had been working three different routes on day of accident

KMB drivers have urged the company to reduce the number of routes per shift after a double-decker bus overturned in northern Hong Kong, killing one passenger and injuring 11 others.
Drivers should only operate two routes instead of the three allowed under current guidelines, the Staff Rights Association of KMB said on Saturday.
Louis Chan Wing-ho, vice-chairman of the association which represents about 400 members, said some drivers were taking on more than three routes per shift, increasing the risk of accidents.
“KMB claims that the rosters are set following the Transport Department’s guidelines, but we suggest that the government department include a clause recommending franchised bus companies assign each bus driver no more than two bus routes per shift,” Chan said.

The crash happened just before midnight on Thursday. The KMB bus operating the 88k route from Fo Tan overturned on Shing Wan Road in Tai Wai, and the 58-year-old driver was arrested the next day for dangerous driving causing death and grievous bodily harm.