Hong Kong’s Star Ferry reminded to get workers’ consent before using 25-day shift roster, minister says after captain’s fatal collapse
- ‘All [roster] arrangements have to secure consent of workers before being implemented,’ Secretary for Labour and Welfare Chris Sun says
- Minister weighs in on controversy surrounding death of Star Ferry captain last week, whose widow says he was on duty for 23 consecutive days

Hong Kong authorities have reminded Star Ferry to secure workers’ consent before implementing rosters that prevent crew from having at least one day off per week, according to the city’s labour minister.
The remarks from Secretary for Labour and Welfare Chris Sun Yuk-han on Sunday followed concerns over working conditions under the ferry service operator after a boat captain died last week. According to the deceased’s widow, he had been on duty for 23 consecutive days.
Currently, workers at Star Ferry have a 25-day shift roster that is followed by five days off. The company has said staff agreed to the arrangement and that they hoped to continue the practice.
However, critics have argued the roster system was a significant departure from the intended meaning of the Employment Ordinance, the city’s legislation enshrining labour rights.
Weighing in on the matter, Sun said employers should generally give workers one full day off each week, but acknowledged there was room for flexibility if both sides agreed.
“Regarding the Star Ferry incident, the Labour Department has contacted the ferry company. First, we have reminded them that all roster arrangements have to comply with the Employment Ordinance,” the minister told the media before setting off for his first work trip to Beijing, which will last until Wednesday.
“And all arrangements have to secure the consent of workers before being implemented. We have to appreciate that there are some sectors where they adopt certain rosters that are not commonly seen. So, employers and employees are allowed to negotiate,” he added.
