Nine dead after gunmen launch twin attacks at UN’s ‘deadliest base’ in Mali
Malian soldiers and security forces, a civilian and a peacekeeper were killed in the violence
Gunmen attacked two UN bases in Mali on Monday, killing a peacekeeper, a contractor and seven Malians, in the latest attacks on its presence in the country.
The peacekeeper and one Malian soldier were killed in an early-morning attack in Douentza, according to the UN mission in the country. Hours later, six men toting guns and grenades drove up to the entrance of the UN mission’s camp in Timbuktu in northwestern Mali.
They opened fire on Malian UN security guards, killing five, as well as a policeman and a civilian contractor whose nationality was not specified, the UN said in a separate statement.
A UN source said six guards had been killed, but the statement said one was wounded but had not died.
Two suspected jihadists were killed in the Douentza attack and six in Timbuktu.
The assault underlines the scale of the UN’s struggles to contain peacekeeper killings – a death toll that has already earned its Mali mission the unwelcome title of the world’s deadliest active UN deployment.
“I don’t have enough words to condemn this cowardly and ignoble act a few hours after the terrorist attack we endured in Douentza,” said UN Special Representative for Mali Mahamat Saleh Saleh Annadif in a statement on the Timbuktu attack.
“We must combine all our efforts in order to identify and apprehend those responsible for these terrorist acts so that they can answer to their crimes in court,” Annadif added.
A Malian security source said the Timbuktu security guards were “killed on the spot”. The attack soon attracted the attention of Malian forces and French helicopters stationed in the area, who fired on the attackers.
On Monday night, reinforcements were deployed to both bases and the city of Timbuktu.
Active in Mali since 2013, the UN mission, known as MINUSMA, is constantly targeted by jihadists that roam northern and central Mali, and has also been beset by operational difficulties including a lack of helicopters and allegations of abuse.
Last week, UN peacekeepers accused former rebel fighters and a rival pro-government militia in the north of the country of having used child soldiers in recent clashes.
In 2012, key cities in northern Mali fell under the control of jihadist groups linked to al-Qaeda, who exploited an ethnic Tuareg-led rebel uprising, prompting a military intervention spearheaded by the French and later MINUSMA was deployed.
Although the Islamists were largely ousted, attacks have continued on UN and French forces, civilians and the Malian army.
Monday’s attacks in Mali came hours after an assault in Ouagadougou, the capital of the neighbouring Sahel state of Burkina Faso, where 18 people were gunned down at a restaurant popular with foreigners.
France is pushing for five countries in the western-central Sahara region to form a joint “G5” force to combat jihadism.
It would comprise 5,000 men drawn from Burkina Faso, Chad, Mali, Mauritania and Niger.
But the plan, which is estimated to cost €400 million (US$471 million), has met with funding concerns.