image image

Terrorism

Death toll from Mogadishu car bombings rises to 53

  • Attackers detonated two car bombs in front of the Sahafi Hotel and a third nearby on Friday, killing 53 and injuring at least 106 others
  • Al-Shabab said it was responsible for the bombings
PUBLISHED : Sunday, 11 November, 2018, 1:24am
UPDATED : Sunday, 11 November, 2018, 1:24am

The death toll from a triple car bombing in Somalia’s capital Mogadishu has risen to 53, including seven attackers from the al-Shabab terrorist group, a senior police officer said Saturday.

Several civilians died of their injuries in hospitals, while others were found dead in the rubble of the Sahafi Hotel, Ali Hassan said.

Hospital officials said at least 106 other people were injured in the attacks.

“Some families are searching for their loved ones because they are still missing, as several whose bodies were burned badly beyond recognition were found in civilian vehicles,” Hassan said.

Al-Shabab has said it was responsible for the bombings in the capital Friday. The attackers detonated two car bombs in front of the Sahafi Hotel, which is frequented by government officials and other members of Somalia’s elite.

Two militants, who were driving the cars filled with explosives, were killed in the blast, while five others were shot dead by security forces before they could enter the hotel, Hassan said.

The third bomb was hidden in an empty car that had been parked at a nearby car park, police said.

Nearby buildings, including the Hayat Hotel and the Central Investigation Department, were damaged by the powerful blasts.