Advertisement
Africa
WorldAfrica

French air strike killed 19 civilians at Mali wedding, says UN report

  • France, which earlier claimed only jihadists had been hit in the attack, has issued a strong denial of the probe’s findings
  • The French air force struck near the remote village of Bounti on January 3, in circumstances that sparked controversy in the war-torn Sahel state

3-MIN READ3-MIN
4
Children search in the ruins of a hotel destroyed by French air strikes in  Douentza in February 2013. A new UN report says a French air strike  killed 19 civilians in Mali in January. Photo: AFP
Agence France-Presse

A French air strike killed 19 civilians in Mali in January, a UN report said on Tuesday, prompting a strong denial from France.

The French air force struck near the remote village of Bounti on January 3, in circumstances that sparked controversy in the war-torn Sahel state.

Residents of the village said the strike hit a wedding party and killed civilians.

The group affected by the strike was overwhelmingly composed of civilians who are protected persons under international humanitarian law
UN report

In the incident’s aftermath, France’s military said it had killed jihadists, not civilians, and also denied the presence of a wedding party in Bounti.

Advertisement

The United Nations mission in Mali, known as Minusma, subsequently launched an investigation.

In a report summarising the probe’s findings, the UN said on Tuesday a wedding had in fact taken place and had “gathered about 100 civilians at the site of the strike”.

Advertisement

It added that about five armed people, who are thought to be members of the jihadist group Katiba Serma, attended the celebrations.

Advertisement
Select Voice
Select Speed
1.00x