-
Advertisement
Americas and the Caribbean
WorldAmericas

Hegseth’s warning after new US strike on alleged drug boat: ‘we will kill you’

Trump administration announces the 18th vessel destroyed in its controversial anti-narcotics campaign in South American waters

Reading Time:2 minutes
Why you can trust SCMP
The latest video showed a boat travelling through the water before exploding into flames. Photo: US Secretary of Defence Pete Hegseth’s X account via AFP
Agence France-Presse

US forces on Thursday struck another alleged drug trafficking boat in the Caribbean, killing three people, Pentagon chief Pete Hegseth said, bringing the death toll from Washington’s controversial anti-narcotics campaign to at least 70.

The United States began carrying out such strikes - which experts say amount to extrajudicial killings even if they target known traffickers - in early September, taking aim at vessels in the Caribbean and eastern Pacific.

The US strikes have destroyed at least 18 vessels so far - 17 boats and a semi-submersible - but Washington has yet to make public any concrete evidence that its targets were smuggling narcotics or posed a threat to the United States.

Advertisement

Hegseth released aerial footage on X of the latest strike, which he said took place in international waters like the previous strikes and targeted “a vessel operated by a Designated Terrorist Organization”.

The video showed a boat travelling through the water before exploding into flames.

Advertisement

“Three male narco-terrorists - who were aboard the vessel - were killed,” Hegseth said, without any further identifying information.

Advertisement
Select Voice
Select Speed
1.00x