-
Advertisement
World

Syria army pounds eastern districts of Damascus

Reading Time:2 minutes
Why you can trust SCMP
A helicopter is shot down near Damascus on Monday following clashes between the Syrian Army and the Free Syrian Army. Photo: EPA
Agence France-Presse

Syria’s army pounded the eastern belt of Damascus before dawn on Tuesday after opening a new front east of the capital, a watchdog said, adding that 60 people were killed in the province the previous day.

The violence followed a bloody on Monday in which 190 people – 116 civilians, 40 rebels and 34 soldiers – were killed across Syria, according to the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights.

The Britain-based watchdog reported fierce shelling overnight on the capital’s eastern neighbourhoods of Zamlaka, Qaboon, Jubar and Ein Tarma.

Advertisement
On Monday, rebels from the Free Syrian Army claimed to have downed a military helicopter in the district of Qaboon during heavy shelling and fierce fighting that also engulfed nearby Jubar as well as several towns outside the capital.

After launching a major offensive on the southwestern belt of Damascus last week which, according to the opposition, included a massacre in the town of Daraya, a rebel commander said that the army’s new focus was the Ghuta area in the countryside east of Damascus. The Syrian Revolution General Council, an activist network on the ground, said that regime forces on Tuesday shelled the eastern suburbs of Harasta and Irbin.

Advertisement

It reported shells being fired from Harasta to the nearby town of Irbin as helicopters hovered overhead.

Advertisement
Select Voice
Select Speed
1.00x