Egypt president issues pardon for 'revolution' protesters

Egypt’s new president on Monday issued a decree pardoning all those charged with or convicted of acts “in support of the revolution” since the beginning of the popular uprising that forced his predecessor, Hosni Mubarak, from power.
The move by Muhammed Mursi was long demanded by Egypt’s youth groups behind the uprising. It could potentially benefit more than 1,000 protesters currently on trial following their arrests during demonstrations since the uprising against Mubarak erupted on January 25 last year and until Mursi was sworn in on June 30.
Those already convicted for their role in the protests may also be pardoned. Most of those on trial or convicted were detained during the rule of the generals who took over after Mubarak stepped down in February last year.
Mohammed Gadallah, Mursi’s legal adviser, said the decree is “one of the revolution’s most important victories”.
“It shows the revolution is now in power and guides the decision-making,” Gadallah said. “This is a legislation that protects the revolutionaries.”
However, the wording of the decree is vague and doesn’t immediately set anyone free, according to several human rights lawyers. It asks the prosecutor general and the military prosecutor to prepare a list of names, within a month of the decree’s issuance, of those who may benefit from the pardon.