BBC chief denies pulling Newsnight show to cover up Savile sex scandal
Director general denies involvement in cancellation of Newsnight documentary investigating child-sex claims against Jimmy Savile

The head of the BBC yesterday denied helping to cover up a sex scandal involving one of its former stars, but accepted the British broadcaster had been damaged by a crisis that has shaken public trust in the national institution.
George Entwistle, who took charge at the 90-year-old media organisation in August, told hostile lawmakers that failures at the BBC had allowed Jimmy Savile, once one of Britain's top television presenters, to prey on young girls for years.
He added he could not rule out suggestions that a paedophile ring might have existed at the state-funded BBC during the height of Savile's fame in the 1970s and '80s. But Entwistle rejected claims that BBC bosses had tried to hide allegations against Savile, who died last year, or suppressed an inquiry by one of their own news programmes.
"This is a gravely serious matter and one cannot look back at it with anything other than horror," Entwistle told Parliament's Culture and Media Committee. "There is no question that … the BBC seemed to allow Jimmy Savile to do what he did, [which] will raise questions of trust for us and reputation for us."
Police are investigating allegations that Savile abused girls as young as 12 over six decades, with some of the attacks having taken place on BBC premises. Detectives announced a criminal inquiry into the claims on Friday, saying more than 200 potential victims had come forward.
The BBC has been under growing pressure since rival channel ITV exposed Savile's alleged crimes three weeks ago.