
Britain’s Queen Elizabeth II has cancelled a planned visit to Wales due to a bout of gastroenteritis, a Buckingham Palace spokesman said on Friday.
The 86-year-old monarch had been due to attend a military celebration in the city of Swansea on Saturday to mark St. David’s Day, the national day of Wales.
“The queenwill no longer go to Swansea tomorrow,” said a spokesman .
“She is experiencing symptoms of gastroenteritis. The queen is currently spending the weekend in Windsor as usual.”
The spokesman said that no decision had yet been made on the queen’s trip to Rome scheduled for next Wednesday and Thursday, when she is due to meet Italy’s President Giorgio Napolitano alongside her husband Prince Philip.
“She is currently being assessed and she will be assessed in the coming days,” the spokesman added.