-
Advertisement
World

Bolshoi ballet dancer denies guilt at acid attack trial

Reading Time:2 minutes
Why you can trust SCMP
Pavel Dmitrichenko, a leading dancer at Russia’s Bolshoi Theatre, stands inside the defendant's cage during a court hearing in Moscow, on Tuesday. Photo: AFP
Reuters

Russian dancer Pavel Dmitrichenko denied any guilt as he went on trial on Tuesday over an acid attack that nearly blinded the artistic director of the Bolshoi Ballet.

Dmitrichenko, 29, was led into a Moscow courtroom in handcuffs to face trial for the assault last winter that exposed bitter rivalries behind the scenes at one of Russia’s great cultural institutions.

He and two alleged accomplices face up to 12 years in prison if they are convicted of intentionally causing grievous bodily harm in the attack on Sergei Filin on January 17.

Advertisement

“I do not admit that I am guilty,” Dmitrichenko, who had dark rings under his eyes, told journalists after officers led him and two co-defendants into a courtroom cage. He looked at his parents and gave them a brief smile.

Dmitrichenko, who wore a sweater, shook his head at other questions from reporters and said he would have his say in court.

Advertisement

Filin, whose position gives him power to make or break careers, was returning home when a masked assailant called his name and threw acid in his face from a jar, leaving him writhing in the snow and calling for help.

At a hearing in March, Dmitrichenko said he had wanted Filin to be roughed up but had been shocked to learn that acid was used.

Advertisement
Select Voice
Select Speed
1.00x