-
Advertisement
World

No charges for Caitlyn Jenner over car crash that killed elderly woman

Reading Time:2 minutes
Why you can trust SCMP
The aftermath of the fatal four-car crash that involved Caitlyn Jenner in Malibu, California, in February. Photo: Reuters
Reuters

Former Olympian and reality TV star Caitlyn Jenner will not be charged in connection with a crash in Malibu earlier this year that killed a 69-year-old woman, Los Angeles prosecutors said.

Based on the facts in the case, prosecutors lacked evidence beyond a reasonable doubt that Jenner’s conduct was unreasonable, according to documents provided by Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office on Wednesday.

Jenner, 65, was driving a Cadillac Escalade along Pacific Coast Highway and towing a trailer carrying a dune buggy when she slammed into two other cars, according to authorities.

Advertisement

During the crash, a white Lexus being driven by 69-year-old Kim Howe was shoved by Jenner’s sport-utility vehicle across a centre divider and into oncoming traffic, where it was struck head-on by a Hummer.

Howe was killed in the collision and Jessica Steindorff, who was driving a black Toyota Prius also rear-ended by Jenner, was injured. Jenner escaped serious injury in the crash and declined medical treatment, authorities said at the time.

Advertisement

According to a summary of the investigation released by the district attorney’s office, Jenner was driving slightly below the speed limit and “minimally slower than the victim” and braked 1.9 to 1.5 seconds before the collision.

Advertisement
Select Voice
Select Speed
1.00x