Advertisement
World

‘I am naturally ugly. He is not’: Cheating accusations mar Zimbabwe’s Mister Ugly contest

2-MIN READ2-MIN
Mison Sere shares the winning smile that saw him crowned Mr Ugly 2015 in Harare on Saturday. Photo: AP
Associated Press

Pageant judges have crowned a new winner of Zimbabwe's 4th annual “Mister Ugly” contest, upsetting supporters of the crowd favourite and prompting rioting at the event.

Judges on Saturday chose 42-year-old Mison Sere, citing his numerous missing front teeth and a wide range of grotesque facial expressions, over William Masvinu, who had held the title since 2012.

Masvinu and his supporters mobbed the judges upon hearing their decision, claiming that Sere was “too handsome” to win and his ugliness wasn't natural since it was based on missing teeth.

Advertisement
“I am naturally ugly. He is not. He is ugly only when he opens his mouth,” maintained Masvinu, gesturing at his rival.
Contestants stand on stage during the 2015 edition of the Mr Ugly competition in Harare on Saturday. The reigning champ, William Masvinu (right), was outraged at the subsequent loss of his crown. Photo: AP
Contestants stand on stage during the 2015 edition of the Mr Ugly competition in Harare on Saturday. The reigning champ, William Masvinu (right), was outraged at the subsequent loss of his crown. Photo: AP

“Do we have to lose our teeth to win? This is cheating,” shouted another contestant, Patrick Mupereki. While no one was injured, there was a great deal of pushing and shoving as the results were announced and insults were hurled at the judges.

Advertisement

Beauty pageants are popular in this southern African country and even though they are typically for women, scandal is not unusual. Earlier this year, Miss Zimbabwe winner Emily Kachote faced a backlash on social media, with Zimbabweans calling her undeserving of the crown.

Mison Sere (top) celebrates his victory. The contest’s angry losers, he said “should just accept that I am uglier than them”. Photo: AP
Mison Sere (top) celebrates his victory. The contest’s angry losers, he said “should just accept that I am uglier than them”. Photo: AP
She was later forced to step down when just two weeks into her reign, images surfaced of her posing nude — which incidentally also brought down her predecessor.
Advertisement
Select Voice
Select Speed
1.00x