Advertisement
Islamic militancy
WorldEurope

Bruised and bloodied Istanbul attacker ‘confesses’ to nightclub massacre after capture

The Uzbek man had been on the run for 17 days, after apparently slipping into the night following the attack on the glamorous Reina nightclub

3-MIN READ3-MIN
A handout photo released by the Turkish police allegedly shows the main suspect of the Reina nightclub shooting, Abdulkadir Masharipov, after he was arrested early on Tuesday. Photo: EPA
Associated Press

Turkish police captured the gunman who carried out the deadly New Year’s nightclub attack in Istanbul, with officials saying Tuesday that he’s an Uzbekistan national who trained in Afghanistan and confessed to the massacre.

Prime Minister Binali Yildirim told reporters in Ankara that the man was being questioned by police and expressed hope that the interrogation would unveil the “forces” behind the attack, which killed 39 people and has already been claimed by the Islamic State group.

Hundreds of people were gathered at the swanky Reina nightclub to celebrate the end of a tumultuous 2016 only to become the first victims of 2017. The gunman shot a police officer and a civilian outside the club, before storming the club.

Advertisement

Most of the dead in the attack were foreign nationals, mainly from the Middle East.

“The vile terrorist who attacked the place of entertainment on New Year’s Eve and led to the loss of so many lives has been captured,” Yildirim said.

Advertisement
A photo released by the Turkish police on January 2 shows the main suspect in the Istanbul nightclub rampage that killed 39 people celebrating the New Year. Photo: AFP
A photo released by the Turkish police on January 2 shows the main suspect in the Istanbul nightclub rampage that killed 39 people celebrating the New Year. Photo: AFP
Advertisement
Select Voice
Select Speed
1.00x