Advertisement
WorldEurope

‘What are you going to do about it?’ Londoners demand answers as fire toll hits 30 and dozens remain missing

Police have warned some of the victims may never be identified because of the state of the remains

3-MIN READ3-MIN
A wall near the tower block covered in messages for the missing and the dead. Photo: Reuters
Agence France-Presse

At least 30 people have been confirmed killed and dozens more are feared dead in the London tower block fire, police said on Friday, as firefighters continued searching for bodies amid outrage over the use of cladding blamed for spreading the flames.

“We know that at least 30 people have died as a result of this fire ... I do believe the number will increase,” police commander Stuart Cundy told reporters in front of the charred Grenfell Tower.

Cundy said police had started a criminal investigation, but there was nothing to suggest “that the fire had been started deliberately”.

Advertisement
Flames and smoke billow out of Grenfell Tower earlier this week. At least 30 people are confirmed dead. Photo: Reuters
Flames and smoke billow out of Grenfell Tower earlier this week. At least 30 people are confirmed dead. Photo: Reuters
Something’s gone wrong here, something’s gone drastically wrong
Government Minister Sajid Javid

He also said the last flames had finally been put out, two days after the fire broke out in the night between Tuesday and Wednesday in the 24-storey tower located in a working-class enclave of the wealthy London borough of Kensington and Chelsea.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Select Voice
Select Speed
1.00x