image

Paris terror attacks

Controversial French film on 2015 Bataclan attacks postponed

PUBLISHED : Friday, 29 December, 2017, 6:35pm
UPDATED : Friday, 29 December, 2017, 6:35pm

French public television has put a controversial film about the Bataclan massacre on ice “until all of the victims’ groups are consulted”.

Ce soir-la (That Night), starring Sandrine Bonnaire, is a love story set on the fateful night in November 2015 when Paris was hit by a wave of terror attacks that left 130 people dead.

But Claire Peltier, the partner of one the people murdered at the Eagles of Death Metal concert at the Bataclan – where 90 people were killed by extremist gunmen – called for the “scandalous” film to be shelved.

She said it was far too soon for “such a painful” story to be revisited.

Filming finished earlier this month but the France 2 station said late on Thursday that the project was being put on hold.

“No transmission date had been fixed for the film … which has not yet been seen by the station’s management,” it said in a statement.

An online petition calling for the film to be scrapped gathered 36,000 signatures on change.org in a month.

“This project shocks and wounds us,” said Peltier, who had two children with her murdered partner David. “We are scandalised that such a film could see the light of day so soon after such a violent event ... Two years on our wounds are still wide open, our grief immense, our lives destroyed.”

The main Bataclan victims’ group welcomed the decision to postpone the film.

“Even if we have never asked for censorship, we are glad that modesty and restraint have prevailed,” said Arthur Denouveaux, head of the Life For Paris group.

Even so, he insisted it was “not our role to be a censor”.

Seven people have been placed in custody following the attacks on the Bataclan, Paris bars and the Stade de France football stadium, while other key suspects are still at large, though police suspect some may be dead.

Among the 10 extremists who wreaked havoc that night, the only survivor is Salah Abdeslam, who is refusing to talk to investigators.

He is due to be tried in Belgium in February over a shoot-out in Brussels that led to his capture.