Mixed martial arts (MMA) star Conor McGregor has been questioned in France on suspicion of indecent exposure and attempted sexual assault, prosecutors said on September 12. The Irishman was detained and questioned by police after a complaint was received on Thursday, the prosecutor's office in Bastia, on the Mediterranean island of Corsica, said in a statement. Prosecutors said they had ordered further investigations after his interview and “as a result of the information gathered by the investigators”, without giving further details. They did not say when exactly McGregor had been detained or whether he had subsequently been released. McGregor’s lawyer was quoted as saying he had been freed. McGregor announced his intention to retire from professional mixed martial arts in June – although he has previously announced his retirement in 2016 and 2018, only to later resume his career.