-
Advertisement
Russia
WorldEurope

Montenegro security agency reports massive Russian cyberattack against government

  • The Agency for National Security said Montenegro is ‘under a hybrid war at the moment’
  • The Adriatic Sea state, once considered a strong Russian ally, joined Nato in 2017 and has joined Western sanctions against Russia for its invasion of Ukraine

Reading Time:1 minute
Why you can trust SCMP
Computer code on a screen with a skull representing a malware attack. Montenegro’s security agency has warned that hackers from Russia have launched a coordinated cyberattack. Photo: Shutterstock Images
Associated Press

Montenegro’s security agency warned on Friday that hackers from Russia have launched a massive, coordinated cyberattack against the small nation’s government and its services.

The Agency for National Security, or ANB, said Montenegro is “under a hybrid war at the moment.”

The Adriatic Sea state, once considered a strong Russian ally, in 2017 joined Nato despite strong opposition from Moscow. It has also joined Western sanctions against Russia for its invasion of Ukraine.

In addition to most European countries, Russia has added Montenegro to its list of “enemy states” for acting against Kremlin’s interests.

Advertisement

The Montenegrin government earlier this week reported the first in a series of cyberattacks on its servers, but said it managed to prevent any damage. However, the attack seems to be ongoing.

“Coordinated Russian services are behind the cyberattack,” the ANB said in a statement. “This kind of attack was carried out for the first time in Montenegro and it has been prepared for a long period of time.”

Dusan Polovic, a government official, said: “I can say with certainty that this attack that Montenegro is experiencing these days comes directly from Russia.”

Advertisement
Select Voice
Select Speed
1.00x