-
Advertisement
Nato
WorldEurope

Mark Rutte seizes lead in Nato job race as he exits Dutch politics

  • Estonia’s Kaja Kallas and Latvia’s Krisjanis Karins are bidding for the Nato top job
  • Allies aim to agree on Jens Stoltenberg’s successor as secretary general by July

Reading Time:3 minutes
Why you can trust SCMP
Mark Rutte is wrapping up 13 years as the Netherlands’ longest-serving premier. Photo: Xinhua
Bloomberg

Dutch Prime Minister Mark Rutte has become the front-runner to take over as Nato chief when Jens Stoltenberg steps down next year, overshadowing other candidates including Estonian Prime Minister Kaja Kallas.

While it’s still not a done deal as more candidates may join the race, Rutte, 56, already has a strong consensus among many allies to take over when Stoltenberg’s term ends in October, according to people familiar with the deliberations on the succession process.

Rutte is wrapping up 13 years as the Netherlands’ longest-serving premier after the Dutch government collapsed in July amid infighting over migration policy. He has said he would leave politics after a new cabinet is formed following elections on Wednesday.

Advertisement

The Dutch and US governments were in contact about Rutte’s chances around the time he said last month that he was open to the job, said one of the people, who spoke on the condition of anonymity. Rutte, however, hasn’t been in contact with his American counterparts directly.

Nato Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg. Photo: EPA-EFE
Nato Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg. Photo: EPA-EFE

The role of the Nato secretary general will continue to remain critical as Russia’s war with Ukraine is set to drag on for years.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Select Voice
Select Speed
1.00x